FLOOD FORECASTING AND EARLY WARNING
Introduction to real-time forecasting systems using MIKE OPERATIONS
This one-day course gives you an introduction to flood forecasting focusing on how they are built and used by managers and operators during emergency situations.
This course will give you a broad understanding of the state-of-the-art real-time flood forecasting and early warning systems and how they help authorities disseminate timely and reliable warnings to the public. You will learn about our successful approach for creating powerful forecasting and early warning systems and how a system can be configured to meet your specific needs.
You will understand the key steps involved in building and implementing flood forecasting systems by flood management authorities and discuss real world examples of how to run the systems during emergency situations.
The course will give you ample opportunity to share experiences and discuss relate course topics related to your own needs.
When reliable flood information can be developed quickly and safely into early warning and response actions, the benefits of forecasts and warnings increase significantly. This helps mitigate human suffering as well as reduces significantly infrastructure damages and loss of productivity.
- Real-time operational flood forecasting and early warning Best Practices
- Real-time data and information management Best Practices
- Key features and functionality of a flood forecasting system
- Data management and auditing such as data quality and logging of data changes
- Configuration of early warning system, including set-up of automated alerts and flood bulletins and reports
- Running flood mitigation scenarios during emergency situations
TARGET GROUP AND PREREQUISITES
Managers and system operators who rely on relevant and timely information during flood emergency situations. It is an advantage, but no condition, that participants have previous experience with water modelling.