This three-day, hands-on course teaches you the fundamentals of ecological modelling and gives you an introduction on how to develop an ecological model using MIKE HYDRO River ECO Lab. Focus is on 1D systems (rivers, channels, streams, etc.). Depending on the level of your experience and specific wishes topics can be added or tailored course offered.
Ecological modelling is used to describe and simulate various processes and phenomena of ecosystems. It is usually applied to model water quality aspects, the fate of dissolved substances or biological relations on population or individual level.
ECO Lab is a numerical modelling tool for ecological modelling integrated in MIKE HYDRO River, which gives easy access to the equations of an ecological model. MIKE HYDRO River ECO Lab is used for rivers and streams as it is capable of simulating the spatial distribution in 1D of variables in the environment.
- Fundamentals of ecological modelling
- Introduction to ECO Lab and dialogue overview
- Introduction to existing ECO Lab templates
- Guidelines for ecological model development
- How to set up the ECO Lab model
- Calibration and validation procedures
- Trouble-shooting advices
- Hands-on exercises
- to construct your own basic ecological model descriptions
- to set up and run MIKE HYDRO River ECO Lab
TARGET GROUP AND PREREQUISITES
Professionals in environmental engineering and management in the public or private sector working with 1D systems (rivers, channels, streams, etc).
You should have a background in applied water quality aspects and/or biology. Some experience with hydraulic modelling is an advantage but no condition.